[Avodah] Chitzonios and Tereifos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 2 08:31:28 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 09:45:33PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: Mechaber 78:1 and Mishne Brurah 78:2,3 are obviously talking about a person
: who unfortunately suffers from incontinence...
: Similarly, if one needs to defecate, but he can hold himself for 4 mil, he
: will be yotzay davening b'dieved -- Mechaber 92:1. But that leniency is
: because it is mere pnimius; Mechaber 76:4,5 seems to be stricter once the
: tzoah has gone external.

I am not sure these are examples. It may have to do with when tzo'ah
smells, or when it starts being "tzo'ah" rather than part of the
person.

: (Note: I think that it would not be difficult to show that chitzonius *is*
: important. The problem as I see it is that we've found some cases where it
: is *more* important than pnimius.)

Thinking about it more, I have more confidence in my earlier guess,
that chitzonius is a better indicator of future penimius than current
penimius is. Someone who is a passionate eved H', but for some reason
isn't acting on it will likely lose that passion, and someone who
develops the right habits in attempt to develop the feelings, mitokh
shelo lishimah, ba lishmah.

So it's not that it's more important; it's still of derived value.
And yet, this reasoning explains Yahadus's focus on halakhah.

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch