[Avodah] Mesora only through Rashi

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Aug 23 15:03:52 PDT 2015

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 12:10:56PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: In general some poskim feel that for many areas shimush is no longer
: needed now that we have detailed seforim. A number of gedolim of the
: 20th century essentially learned alone with minimal input from teachers.

Well, RYBS's notion of "mesorah" is broader than that, as Rashi and
Tosafos are considered part of it. Yes, shimush is more central to
relaying a feel for how halakhah should be decided, but books that spell
out past decisions also apparently play a role.

But the truth is most of the gedolim in the 20th cent (Slabodka alumni
aside) learned one-on-one often moving in with their rebbe. What you
call "minimal" I would call "short and intense".