[Avodah] yehoshua ben gamla

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 29 08:58:44 PDT 2015

On 07/29/2015 11:01 AM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> according to the Hebrew wikipedia

Which is no more authoritative than English WP, and in fact seems to
have looser rules regarding sourcing.

> Matyha bat Baytus

Martha.

> As we discussed it couldn't be from Alexander Jannai

As Tosfos already points out, in both places where the gemara quotes
this memra.

> they guess that it was from Agripas II.

That seems like a good guess, that the Yannai in the memra refers to
the king Josephus calls Herod Agrippa II, but it is only a guess.

On 07/29/2015 12:07 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> I went to the Soncino, since I don't know who else would comment on a
> gemara - Josephus interaction. Fn 16 on Yuma, 20 on Yevamos make the
> identity. They first opine that "Jannai is often employed in the Talmud
> as a general patronymic for Hasmonean and Herodian rulers."

Which, for all we know, it may have been.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name