[Avodah] miryam bat batus

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 11:28:32 PDT 2015

On 07/28/2015 01:50 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> If he could be "Alexander Yannai" in one language and "Yonasan" in
> another, who knows it there weren't another king whose Latin name
> "Janneus" was simply not preserved?

Here's a thought: AFAIK there is no mention in the gemara of a second,
bad, King Agrippas.  The only Agrippas mentioned is the first one,
the good one.  Also, as far as I know, there is no record of the
second Agrippas's Hebrew name.  What if the first Agrippas gave his
oldest son Yannai as his Jewish name, after the first Yannai, and that
is how he was known among Jews, and therefore by the Amoraim, while
Josephus called him by his Roman name, Herod Agrippa?

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in