[Avodah] miryam bat batus

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 28 07:31:02 PDT 2015

On 07/28/2015 09:52 AM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> On 7/27/2015 2:49 AM, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:

>> Therefore this Yannai Malka was not that Alexander Yannai.  As Tosfos
>> in both places points out, for precisely that reason.

> Which is odd, because we don't have a single source, anywhere, of
> there having been a second king named Yannai or Yonatan or any
> permutation thereof.

Except this memra of Rav Assi, which is quoted twice in the gemara
with the same language, so it's unlikely to be a mistranscription.
Either Rav Assi was mistaken about the king's name, or there was a
short-reigned later king of that name whom Josephus didn't bother
mentioning, or one of the later kings had Yannai as one of his names,
and Josephus didn't bother mentioning it.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in