[Avodah] De-Chokifying Arayos (including MZ)

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jul 20 16:02:52 PDT 2015

(Sorry for approving both versions of that post! It was a quick typo in
what was until-then going so smoothly! -micha)

On 2015-07-20 5:34 pm, RZ Lampel wrote:
> RMB responded: "Lo zakhisi lehavin: It's hard to see how incest
> within
> the immediate family or eishes iss aren't mefursamot."

> Adultery (eishis ish) is technically taking from another man that
> which
> belongs exclusively to him. So that itself puts it within the
> category of
> issurim that are mefursamos.

> The Rambam (MN 2:49) ...

Yes. But our problem is with Shemoneh Peraqim, where the Rambam
distinguishes
between mitzvos mefusamot, for which a person should develop a desire
that is
in line with the mitzvah (or a distaste in line with the issur), and
other
mitzvos where one should simply refrain out of submission to ol
mitzvos.

And among his mitzvos which are NOT mefursamos are arayos. R/Dr Meir
Shinnar
writes:
>                                         he specifically applies that
> arayot - and needs to apply it to arayot, because the sugyot that
> deal with
> kol hagadol mechavero yitzro gadol  mimenu - specifically apply to
> arayot.
> One could argue whether the arayot the rambam means refers to all
> dine
> arayot, or only to a subset (excluding mishkav zachar), although not
> sure
> on what basis - but clearly the rambam here insists that arayot are
> NOT
> self evident or even mefursamot

So regardless of how he categorizes them in the Moreh, the chiluq the
Rambam
makes in 8P requires our considering these issurim to not be
self-evident.

(Which I still don't get.)

-micha
--
Micha Berger             Here is the test to find whether your mission
micha at aishdas.org        on Earth is finished: