[Avodah] What is the purpose of saying the 13 midos in Selichos?

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 6 01:19:51 PDT 2015

Most of selichos is us beseeching Hashem (poetically) for forgiveness and
declaring that we are unworthy and sinners. However, the main part of
selichos is the recitation of the 13 middos. However, the recitation of the
13 kiddos seems like almost magic, something we say because Hashem told us
to as we say in the preceding paragraph "Hashem you commanded us to say the
13 [middos] ... as you told Moshe [the anav] ...". What is our kavannah
supposed to be when we say the 13 middos? What should we be thinking? Why
is saying the 13 middos so important?