[Avodah] Chitzonios and Tereifos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 31 18:44:19 PDT 2015

Something I noticed...

After the animal is shechted, a lung could be hollow, or full of liquid,
and it's still kosher. But if there is a pinhole in both membranes
around the lung, it's treif.

Similarly the brain -- if the outside is solid, the inside could be
rotten and the animal is still kosher.

These are laws of tereifah that we refuse to change recardless of whether
veterinary medicine disagrees about survivability. So I assume there is
some point being made about chiyus in general in all this.

However, I can't picture drawing the conclusion that chitzonius is
more important than penimius.

Maybe something more like "fake it till you make it" -- as long as you
keep the externals going, there is hope that the internals will fill in.

But I'm fishing for better suggestions.

Micha Berger             Man is capable of changing the world for the
micha at aishdas.org        better if possible, and of changing himself for
http://www.aishdas.org   the better if necessary.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning