[Avodah] Hakarat Hatov

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 1 14:33:45 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 03:56:25PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Does Hakarat Hatov engender a measurable "liability" (e.g. require a
: marginally greater action) between the recipient and the provider of the
: "Tov", or is saying "Thank you, I appreciate it" the only requirement?

Moshe isn't the trigger for the first makkos because he "owed" the
Ye'or and the sand for saving him in the past.

As Chazal put it (BQ 92b) WRT "velo sesaeiv Mitzri ki ger hayisa
ve'artzo", it justified the common saying "bira deshasis mineih, lo
tashdi beih kala" (into a well from which you once drank, don't throw
clods of dirt).

That said, I don't think reducing gratitude to *nothing more than*
a favor-economics is healthy.

Micha Berger             When you come to a place of darkness,
micha at aishdas.org        you don't chase out the darkness with a broom.
http://www.aishdas.org   You light a candle.
Fax: (270) 514-1507        - R' Yekusiel Halberstam of Klausenberg zt"l