[Avodah] ceremony

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 11 10:53:06 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 06:02:04PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: It would seem that RYBS's definition of a ceremony is almost a tautology.
: If it is anything of religious significance then its not a ceremony.

If a ritual is of halachic significance then it's not a ceremony (as
RYBS used the word in coining the aphorism we're discussing). Now,
to Halakhic Man, one can say there is no Yahadus except halakhah, and
therefore ceremony is not part of Yahadus.

So, RYBS's position on ceremony is a natural consequence of Halakhic
Man, but they aren't a tautology according to other derakhim.

To other hashkafos, white tablecloths and shiny Shabbos licht may not
define Shabbos, but they can for many help foster the atmosphere
hilkhos Shabbos create.

Which is why I mentioned the spread of Chavaquq-like Judaism in YU.
Because Chassidus is big on ritual.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             You are where your thoughts are.
micha at aishdas.org                - Ramban, Igeres haQodesh, Ch. 5
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507