[Avodah] hakarat hatov

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 10 12:23:31 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 04:56:04PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: R' Micha Berger:
:> I do not even know of a term for requiring repaying a favor. Although
:> there is meishiv ra'ah tachas tovah (Mishlei 17:13, c.f. Bereishis 44:4,
:> Shemuel I 25:21, Yirmiyahu 18:20, Tehillim 35:12, 38:21, 109:5). Not an
:> obligation to repay as much as an issur against doing them wrong.

: "Mah ashiv laShem, kol tagmulohi alai?"

I do not see obligation here. Rather, how can I possibly repay, given
that everything I have is from Him. Even if voluntarily. Therefore
(next pasuq), I will simply recognize what He gave me (kos yeshu'os esa)
and that He was the One Who gave it (uvsheim H' eqra), follow through
on what I already promised....

Do you see new obligations in this pereq?

Micha Berger             Live as if you were living already for the
micha at aishdas.org        second time and as if you had acted the first
http://www.aishdas.org   time as wrongly as you are about to act now!
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning