[Avodah] 13 Middos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Sep 8 08:14:49 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 10:35:55AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: True, but I think the notion of magic days and procedures that gain even a
: measure of kapparah without necessitating teshuvah is also very
: problematic...

And I don't believe there is such a thing, so I have no problem.

I suggested twice now 2007
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol23/v23n174.shtml#12 and 2010
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol30/v30n130.shtml that
itzumo shel yom mechaperes only someone who acknowledges and embraces
the etzem shel yom.

>From 2007:
> My understanding is that itzumo shel yom is mechapeir, but without inuyim,
> one isn't connected to that etzem. IOW, someone who eats on YK doesn't
> get kapparah, but someone who observes YK gets kapparah from YK itself,
> not the zekhus of observance.

> And it's clear from R' Elazar ben Azaryah on Yuma 86a that YK is never
> effective in and of itself.
> - For an asei, teshuvah is effective
> - For a regular lav, teshuvah must first achieve selichah (removal of
>   onesh) before YK can effect kaparah
> - For a chayav kareis, one needs teshuvah and YK for selichah, and onesh
>   brings kaparah
> - For chillul Hashem, only misah brings kaparah.

> The philosophical problems are
> (1) The justice in YK being mechapeir
> (2) Given a ba'asher hu sham approach, why would onesh or misah in and
>     of itself help?

> I couldn't make heads or tails of it without stretching the notion,
> and saying that YK is mechapeir to the extent that one allows oneself to
> experience the soul-changing nature of YK, and thus change the ba'asher
> hu sham. Similarly oneshim or misah.

I know all this could be seen as dachuq BUT, Divine Justice is the 11th
iqar. I would prefer to take a number of chazal's statements as colloquial
shorthand for more nuanced ideas than to dismiss what we have blessed as
a defining feature of Yahadus. Or IOW, given that Ani Maamin and Yigdal
made it into the siddur, I feel the burden rests on those who take itzumo
shel yom in its simple sense.

(And yes, "problematic" should be tken as "a problem for us to
understand.")

Micha Berger             If a person does not recognize one's own worth,
micha at aishdas.org        how can he appreciate the worth of another?
http://www.aishdas.org             - Rabbi Yaakov Yosef of Polnoye,
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  author of Toldos Yaakov Yosef