[Avodah] shabbat mikes

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 13 12:54:51 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 01:18:22AM +0000, Kenneth Miller via Avodah wrote:
: R' Saul Newman asked:
:> i thought that tzomet products are meant for sha'at
:> hadchak /bedieved
: ...
: But I think that the real answer to your question might be: "If the people
: in shul can't hear the rabbi or the chazan, that IS a shaas hadchak."

Both letzorekh mitzvah and tzarkhei tzibbur are usually classified with
she'as hadechaq and hefsed meruba. The two combined is why shuls have such
wide lattitude with amira le'akum. (And perhaps either alone? I dunno.) So
if a properly designed PA system is a shevus or other derabannan, why
not permit this too?

BTW, R/Dr Yisrael Rozen of Machon Zomet makes a point of noting that
the issues seem to be the same whether the PA system is electrical or
based on air pressure.
See <http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/?CategoryID=198&ArticleID=283#c1>

   Microphones and Amplifiers on Shabbat
   Rabbi Yisrael Rozen

   C. Microphones Operating on Air Pressure

   1. System Description

   Recently, the idea of a microphone which operates on air pressure,
   rather than electricity, has been proposed. A company in the United
   States is in the process of developing this "air-mike," although to the
   best of my knowledge, the project is still in the experimental stage.

   The device consists of a container of compressed air[12] and a system
   of pipes in which the compressed air flows. After one speaks into
   a horn-like input, his voice is carried on the stream of compressed
   air in the pipes. Acoustic adjustment (which apparently lies at the
   heart of the idea) then causes the voice waves to be amplified...

   2. Comparison to an Electronic Microphone

   Several rabbis have permitted the use of air microphones on Shabbat,
   viewing it as an appropriate means of sound amplification for a
   synagogue. I question the distinction between an air microphone and
   a regular microphone - if we permit one, we must permit the other...

   Let me explain. We have shown that, given the current technology,
   the main problems with using a microphone on Shabbat have nothing to
   do with the fact that it runs on electricity. The problems concern
   the decree of klei shir, the fear that one will repair it, hashma'at
   kol like a water mill, avsha milta, denigration of Shabbat, and the
   suspicion of onlookers. Regarding all but the last of these, I see
   no difference between an air microphone and a regular microphone. In
   my opinion, an air microphone is a kli shir exactly like a shofar
   or trumpet; it creates a loud noise like a water mill; there exists
   the possibility that one will try to adjust it etc.. If you wish to
   claim that it is not a kli shir because it transmits speech; that we
   should not innovate a decree of "lest one repair it;" that it does not
   resemble a water mill because everyone knows that there is no Shabbat
   violation involved - then the same considerations should apply to a
   regular microphone as well. Only regarding the suspicion of onlookers
   might there be a difference between the two types of microphones;
   with an electric microphone, onlookers may think that an electric
   circuit was created on Shabbat. But we have already explained that
   even if one would turn on existing equipment on Shabbat, he would
   violate only a rabbinic prohibition, and we are not concerned with
   creating suspicion regarding rabbinic prohibitions. We also noted
   above that "everyone knows" that the equipment was turned on either
   before Shabbat or by means of a timer, and thus resembles a chiming
   clock (which is permitted).

   I have heard that there are those who permit the air microphone since
   the speaker's original voice is carried through the pipes (although
   clearly the majority of the sound waves reaching the audience's ears
   comes from the air pumped by the compressor). I am astonished at
   this claim: even in an actual musical instrument (such as a trumpet)
   the player's breath is mixed in, and nevertheless it is forbidden!

   In many musical instruments, the sound comes mainly from an "echo
   chamber," whose geometry shapes and amplifies the sound. To the best of
   my understanding, an air microphone operates on the same principle.[13]

   In my opinion, halachic definitions (in all fields) do not stem from
   scientific, physical, or technical definitions. The definitions of
   klei shir and hashma'at kol are not based on the technology of sound
   production, wave dispersion, or other acoustic considerations. The
   question at hand is whether these devices are included in the rabbinic
   decree of klei shir or not. In this regard, it does not matter whether
   one makes his voice heard by means of an electric or an air microphone.

   Some of those who give a blanket permit to use an air microphone claim
   that it does not amplify the speaker's voice, but merely carries it. On
   the basis of material I have received from the factory, I find this
   claim to be mistaken. Therefore, as far as klei shir and hashma'at kol
   are concerned, the two types of microphones are identical.

   3. Responsa Which Erred in the Realia

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Yesod: What is imposing about a
Fax: (270) 514-1507                          reliable person?