[Avodah] Jewish Action 2000 review of RYBS book

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 25 02:54:58 PDT 2015

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> Even Moshe Rabbeinu -- he had 70 front-row talmidim and ever since
> we have had 70 panim laTorah.
>
> Any gadol brilliant and subtle enough to be worth following will
> so outstrip his talmidim that each only grasps onto one facet and
> interpretation of a more complex original.
>
> This is far from unique to RYBS.

Here's my guess about what made RYBS unique in this regard: On the one hand, he did have his opinions about many things. But that was NOT what he tried to pass on to his talmidim. In fact, he is famous for NOT answering many of the questions posed to him. What RYBS wanted was for his talmidim to be able to decide for themselves. He never wanted to teach his talmidim WHAT to think, but HOW to think.

Akiva Miller