[Avodah] Kaddish with mixed seating

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 24 12:32:08 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:52pm EDT, RnTK wrote:
: From: Kaganoff via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
:> We assume that Kaddish is a Devar she-Bikdusha and requires a minyan
:> to be recited.

:> We require separate seating for a Devar she-Bikdusha.

: You see something similar when people make an ad hoc minyan at a wedding
: (or an airport lounge). They don't put up a mechitza...

Slight topic change. You can have separate seating (or locations in general)
without a mechitzah.

I believe that minyanim were held at the kotel even when the Ottomans didn't
let us put up a mechitzah by separating the genders even without one. I
see R YH Henkin (Responsa on Contemporary Jewish Women's Issues, pg 124
<https://books.google.com/books?id=1QAZVzTJz2MC&lpg=PA124&pg=PA124>)
rejects the hava amina that mechitzah is only for an established shul. He
requires a mechitzah, not just separate seating at a temporary location
for davening. While a minyan is there, the laws of mara miqdash apply. I
do not whether he would advised the yishuv hayashan not to daven at
the kotel.

Cc: RYHH

--
Micha Berger             The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
micha at aishdas.org        ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.