[Avodah] Kol Isha Twist

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 24 07:35:48 PDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 10:21 PM, Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer via Avodah wrote:

> It's an interesting loophole: Since kol b'isha erva only applies when
> you know what a woman looks like, the heavy sunglasses and very
> modest dress may do the trick. Not middas chassidus, but perhaps on a
> technicality permitted.

I don't see anything in the two linked articles about such a loophole.
And I don't think it would work.   Surely you can see enough of her to
form some idea, perhaps mistaken, but enough for the yetzer hara to work with.
I think the true heter for what she's doing is a lot simpler: she is not
machshil anyone, because whoever is watching the show is already seeing and
hearing enough women sing that one more makes no difference at all.  If
she didn't sing, then in all likelihood another woman would do so, wearing
much less and acting more provocatively; or else a man would be giving some
provocative performance that would be almost as bad.  So really what has she
done wrong?  Those who don't normally watch should continue not to watch,
and they won't be affected.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in