[Avodah] Soul Terminology, and Expressions of Love: Proper Frum Expression In The Lens of the Ashkenaz Tradition ? Gleanings From Rav Shimon Schwab

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 19 13:38:04 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 07:00:53AM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: Please see http://tinyurl.com/q64ehha

On the second example, I'm reminded of the Soloveitchik tradition that
emotions are the Qodesh haQadashim of avodas Hashem. And therefore
while RSSschwab's position was depited as:

> Nowadays one at times witnesses public statements, in the form of songs,
> declarations, and even bumper stickers, proclaiming [HQBH anachnu ohavim
> Osakh!] (Hashem, we love you), an expression that was not commonly heard
> shouted aloud in the past in our circles. Is that in consonance with our
> [Mesorah]? Rav Schwab (in his address entitled Internalizing Eternity)
> states the following (after 33:20) Since Ahavas Hashem is such a strictly
> personal matter, he who truly loves Hashem does not show his [Ahavah]. He
> rather hides it. It is far too intimate to parade it in public. He is
> mekayeim [vehatzneia lekhes im E-lokekha]. It is exclusively his private
> affair, between him and his Creator.

Briskers would not expose any emotion. And so, when RYBS left for
Berlin, R' Moshe took him to the train station, but there was no
emotional goodbye. Even though RMF didn't know if he would ever see
his son (and chavrusah) again. RYBS said he knew his father's feelings
at the moment, he just knew that he would never display it publicly.
Just a simple "Leikh leshalom HQBH zul dir matzliach zein!"

Story told far better, in RYBS's own words here
<https://books.google.com/books?id=Fg5eCThNlb4C&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68>

In any case, the Brisker approach doesn't speak to too many people in this
generation. I would bet many of us would consider it less-than-positive.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,
http://www.aishdas.org   you must know where to slaughter and what
Fax: (270) 514-1507      parts to offer.        - R' Simcha Zissel Ziv