[Avodah] Rav Elchanan Wasserman & Why People Sin

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 3 06:57:17 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 05:39:33PM -0400, H Lampel wrote:
: But even if it is "an" argument from design, it's a different argument
: from the "modeh al ha-emmess" proof from the hierarchy of entities
: benefiting others. So the latter is not a recap of the former. And
: it does not necessarily follow that one who is modeh to the
: "frequency" argument considers the hierarchy argument "one of the
: strongest."

I think our point of contention is simple:

You seem to be treating "modeh al ha-emes" as referring to a kind
justification that isn't a proof.

Whereas I see the Rambam as saying more like: this doesn't work as proof,
but if you already agree to the emes, look how nicely it works out. And
therefore there is nothing in the Rambam about a justification that
isn't a philosophical proof. For that matter, I would take his words
to say this non-proof, being only meaningful to someone who is already
"modeh al ha'emes", is not valid justification -- an instance of what
I believe would be his general rule.

Micha Berger             It's never too late
micha at aishdas.org        to become the person
http://www.aishdas.org   you might have been.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      - George Eliot