[Avodah] : Another Chumera ends up Involving a Kula

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat May 30 20:04:07 PDT 2015

On 05/30/2015 07:03 PM, Chana Luntz via Avodah wrote:
> RZS's assumption is that, so long as everybody agrees that a form of blowing
> is kosher bidieved, then areivus works,

Not just b'deiavad; my understanding is that all of these shitos are kosher
lechatchilah, they're just not the way we do them lemaaseh.  Let's say they're
not mitzva min hamuvchar.    Or "de`avad kemar `avad, ud`avad kemar `avad
but we do kemar".

> But in the case that RZS has outlined, where the people hearing
> only the minority shitos form of shofar blowing would surely want the
> majority position shofar blowing if they could get it,

We're talking about people who have no particular desire to hear shofar
at all, or they'd have done so.  They didn't bother going to shul on Rosh
Hashana, so they're probably not even aware that there are different
shitos in how to blow shofar, let alone have a preferred shitah.  Anything
that is motzi them in the mitzvah is an improvement over what they would
do otherwise, and is a benefit for them.   And we're talking about potential
blowers who currently don't go out and do this, they don't spend their
precious Rosh Hashana hours bringing this zechus to fellow Jews who did not
come themselves to hear shofar.   So what I'm proposing is a win-win.  They
get to hear the obscure shitos they want to hear, and the people they're
blowing for get the basic mitzvah as the Torah commanded it.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in