[Avodah] Lifnei Iveir

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 27 14:49:03 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:03:32PM +0000, Kenneth Miller via Avodah wrote:
: R' Micha Berger answered:
:> On a technical level, it would be mesayeia, not lifnei iver, and
:> I'm not sure that mesayeia applies to 7 mitzvos benei Noach.

: Really? Perhaps I need a better understanding of the difference between
: the two. I thought that mesayeia was when the other person is going to
: violate the halacha anyway and I am merely helping him to do it...

My understanding is that mesayeia is when the person was capable of doing
the aveirah without you. Not "would" but "could". Whereas lifnei iveir
is when the nazir is mei'eivar hanahar and you're giving him passage.

The sugya is on AZ 6a-b.

But, I see the Ran does say mesayeia apply to preventing a nakhri from
violating the 7MBN.

The Rama *YD 151:2) says we are meiqil and allow selling AZ items
to nakhriim if they already own similar items or can buy them elsewhere,
but there are machmirim.

See the Shach YD 151:6-7, who discusses this machloqes rishonim.

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507