[Avodah] Why didn't the other nations accept the Torah?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 21 03:36:19 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 08:57:21PM -0500, Lisa Liel via Avodah wrote:
: I think the obvious answer is that midrash is midrash.  One midrash
: doesn't have to be consistent with another.  It's there to learn
: from, and the message of this one comes through regardless of the
: Noachide laws.

I believe the question was finding internal consistency in a single
medrash from the Yalqut Shim'oni. The medrash that says the nations were
offered the Torah itself says the example mitzvos were ones they were
already obligated in, and ones their ancestor was known for.

So, what does that tell us about the message?

To me, it says that the offer was more about testing one's willingness
to change. Therefore, each is asked if they would be willing to refrain
from something that they should already be avoiding, but is part of
their current culture.

And that, in turn, speaks to seeing the Torah as a tool for
self-transformation. Which I mean in a manner vague enough to include
both Chassidim and Litvaks.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Malchus: What is glorious about
Fax: (270) 514-1507               unity-how does it draw out one's soul?