[Avodah] missing years in Hebrew calendar

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 12 06:17:09 PDT 2015

On 5/12/2015 3:36 AM, Eli Turkel wrote:

>     5) Koresh= Daryavush=Artachasta

>   <<As far as Achashveirosh being Artachshasta, Chazal say Artaxerxes
> was a throne name.  And in fact, Greek sources say that both
> Artaxerxes II and III adopted it as a throne name. Furthermore, the
> Septuagint version of Esther refers to the king as Artaxerxes, so
> saying that Ahasuerus is Artaxerxes is a truism that has nothing to do
> with chronology >>

> Do these Greek sources explain how Koresh and Daryavush are the same
> person?

Fortunately, they don't have to, since that's just Midrash and has no
nafka mina l'maaseh.

> Besides you use the parts of the Greek sources that you like and
> reject those that dont fit your thesis

Of course I do.  The Greek sources aren't what we would call "history"
today.  Herodotus collected folklore and picked the versions he liked to
make a more entertaining story.  He says himself that he heard 4
different and conflicting stories about Cyrus's backstory, and chose the
one he liked best.  He didn't even preserve the other three so that we
could make our own decisions. He made his living in Greece by
entertaining his patron(s) with exotic stories from exotic lands.

> Now you rely on the Septuagint? Almost everyone else identifies
> Achashverosh with Xerxes,

Not so.  Everyone recognizes that the *name* Achashveirosh is the same
as the *name* Xerxes.  Or rather, that both names are transliterations
of the original Persian Khshayarsha.  To say that "almost everyone else
identifies Achashverosh with Xerxes" indicates that you aren't
particularly well versed in the subject.  I mean, at the very least,
read the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahasuerus which
notes which sources have identified him as which kings.

> Besides the are several inscriptions in ancient Persian that give a
> detailed list of kings eg
> Artaxerxes the great king, king of kings king of peoples king on this
> earth son od Darius the king Darius son of Artaxerxes the king, Xerxes
> son of Darius the king Darius son of Hystapes the Archaemend proclaims ..

<sigh> Have you read the Behistun Inscription?  Darius son of Hystaspes
had it inscribed.  In it, he talks about Babylonian kings who weren't
actually Babylonian kings.  At least not by our standards.  They were
pretenders, since Babylon had fallen to the Medes and Persians.  But
they gave themselves royal titles and claimed descent from
Nebuchadnezzar and Nabonidus and the rest. From their point of view,
they *were* kings of Babylon.  From the Persian point of view, they were
pretenders.  Similarly, what do you think happened to Persia when
Alexander conquered it?  From one day to the next, Persia vaporized?
Persia covered a huge area.

Professor Levine posted about Rabbi Alexander Hool's book "The Challenge
of Jewish History".  I don't agree with all of his conclusions, and I'm
embarrassingly late completing a review of the book, but he posits the
Persian line continuing even after Alexander whupped Darius at
Gaugamela.  And in fact, the Parthian Empire, which started only about
70-80 years after the Alexandrian conquest, claimed descent from the
Achaemenids of the Persian Empire.  As did the later Sassanids.  Names
like Ardashir are just Late Persian versions of the Old Persian Artaxerxes.

That's completely aside from the fact that we *know* there were
forgeries perpetrated in ancient times for the purpose of establishing
royal descent.  Check out Roland Kent's article "The Present Status of
Old Persian Studies" in /Journal of the American Oriental Society,
/1936, vol. 56, p. 215ff.
(http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/594668?uid=3739656&uid=2134&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21106376285721).

A couple of inscriptions that are nothing but royal titles with no
actual content to them is kind of flimsy evidence.  Certainly not
something strong enough to trash Chazal's entire picture of such an
important period in our history.

> As an aside modern chronology of Eygpt has been confirmed by recent
> carbon 14 dating.

Source.  Because you may not be aware of this, but when you bring items
in for carbon dating, you have to tell them -- up front -- what the
rough date is that you think they're from.  So that they can throw away
any results that skew too far from that as "contaminated".  The rest are
subject to a fudge factor (sorry: correction factor) to help make them
fit.  But I'd like to see the source you have for carbon dating of
modern Egyptian chronology.

> Dates of Sishak and other Assyrina and Babylonian kings have been
> confirmed by their writings combined with various astronomical events
> mentioned in their writings.

Assuming Sosenk = Shishak, which is iffy, considering that Sosenk only
claims to have campaigned in the north of Israel, which would be odd for
Shishak, whose son-in-law Yeravam was ruling there.  The rest of what
you're talking about is pure confirmation bias.  They have a model and
they shoehorn any evidence they find into that model, even if they have
to kind of mush it in there.

> <<Again, he wasn't Kohen Gadol.  No one holds that he was.  Let me try
> and explain a little more about Midrash.  Chazal bring Midrashim that
> contradict one another.  For example, there's a Midrash that says
> Esther never slept with Achashveirosh. That Hashem sent a mal'ach that
> took her place.  That conflicts with "Esther karka hayta", as well as
> with the Midrash that Darius the Persian was Esther's son.  None of
> this is problematic.  Because the truth of Midrashim is not in their
> concretes.  Like analogies, Midrashim are abstractions which are
> anchored with concretes, but are not defined by those concretes.>>

> That's your opinion. In fact many achronim take these conflating of
> names very seriously. While you claim Eliyahu wasn't a cohen gadol
> there is in fact a halachic literature whether he was or not and
> whether a cohen gadol can resign.
> For example see hebrewbooks Magen Tzvi siman 36 page 388 where he
> concludes that a Cohen Gadol (annointed by oil) who resigns still has
> all the laws of a cohen gadol

Midrash.  And if it were something more solid than that, you'd have more
than just some achronim saying so.

> You wrote "Midrash that Darius the Persian was Esther's son " .
> However Darius's own version (Behustan) states that he was not the son
> of the previous king (see also above inscription on a wall)

So what?  I'm confused.  I'm saying that Midrash isn't necessarily the
literal fact, and you pick out a phrase from what I wrote and point out
that it isn't the literal fact?  It seems like you're trying to make a
point, but I'm not seeing what it is.

Lisa