[Avodah] explanation

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 12 03:51:31 PDT 2015

Lakol zeman va'eis...

There is a time to force people to change their reflect reactions, and a
time when the focus should be elsewhere.

There are two kinds of mummim WRT kehunah (see Bechoros 43b):
1- mar'is ayin -- one whose appearance is repulsive to the people
2- eino shaveh bezar'o shel Aharon -- someone who is unique in appearance
   to the people (see Rambam, Bi'as haMiqdash 6:6)

A kohein in the mar'is ayin category would pasl the avodah bedi'eved,
one who is eino shaveh would violate an asei, but the avodah is kasher.

Notice that both are defined by their impact on the observer. Presumably
the point is that attention should be on avodah, not thoughts about the
kohein performing it, or negative judgments of who is fit for service.

But notice this is only for the Avodah.... a kohein with a baal mum was still expected to show up
with his mishmar and do other necessary jobs.
I am not even sure he is pasul from lighting the menorah. After all,
we learn these mumim from the animals for qorbanos; it may apply
to qorbanos in particular.

So to me, the question is why isn't mid-qorban a good time to acclimate
Kelal Yisrael away from such visceral reactions. But since I cannot
get my head into the mindset of someone bringing a qorban, I leave the
question tabled until I have the opportunity to learn what a qorban is
like firsthand, bb"a.

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Yesod: How does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507           promote harmony in life and relationships?