[Avodah] halaqah

Simon Montagu via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun May 10 23:38:11 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Herbert Basser via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

>  A recent post claims the Islamic "opsherin" was called "halaqah". What
> is the evidence for this claim? The only meaning of arabic "halaqah" I know
> is "learning circle".

Disclaimer: my knowledge of Arabic doesn't go much beyond being able to
look up words in the dictionary, but from doing that the root h-l-q seems
to mean both "shave", "form a circle" and "round off". This makes sense to
me: after all, "lehakkif" in Biblical Hebrew has the same semantic range.