[Avodah] Meron live

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 7 15:42:37 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 05:10:31PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
: At 01:07 PM 5/7/2015, Micha Berger wrote:
:> Minhagim evolve, that's what they do.

: But doesn't "evolving" mean that there is an existing minhag, and it
: evolves? ...

The essence of mourning during the omer is not making a wedding, since
nissuin, or a se'udas eirusin at the time of eirusin, is the act of
simchah par exellance.

Then the bit about haircuts crept in, and later, parties with music.
Perhaps music as a whole, perhaps instrumental music, perhaps only
parties -- machloqes acharonim.

That's the minhag I'm talking about evolving. So, people found reason
to poke a hole in a minhag that was otherwise growing. As I said,
minhagim evolve.

:         The Pri Etz Chaim never said that the Ari said it was
: appropriate.

What? The Ari PARTICIPATED in it himself!

Micha Berger             Today is the 33rd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Hod: LAG B'OMER - What is total
Fax: (270) 514-1507               submission to truth, and what results?