[Avodah] shabbat mikes

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 6 18:18:22 PDT 2015

R' Saul Newman asked:

> i thought that tzomet products are meant for sha'at
> hadchak /bedieved

I've never read any of their material, but I'm pretty sure that they have MANY halachic "tools" in their arsenal, and not all of them carry the same restrictions. For example, a grama switch would only be useful for a very limited number of situations, as would a pen that writes with disappearing ink. But if you can make an electronic device that generates zero heat and zero light, it just *might* be acceptable for general use.

Exhibit A: Hearing aids. I'll admit that a hearing aid is not the same thing as a loudspeaker system. But without getting into a whole discussion, the only point I'm making is that you have to look at the thing, and not just reject it out of hand.

One might say that "Hearing aids are by definition for a shaas hadchak; how can this technology help the average person? So I bring you Exhibit B: Sabbath Mode ovens. Without any doubt, one DOES manipulate the electric circuit with these gadgets. If not on Shabbos, then at least on Yom Tov.

But I think that the real answer to your question might be: "If the people in shul can't hear the rabbi or the chazan, that IS a shaas hadchak."

In any case, about 15 years ago I happened to spend Shabbos at a shul that used one of these systems, and there were two large notices by the entrance to the main sanctuary, pointing out that the system was designed by Zomet. If I remember correctly, there was also a letter on the wall giving more halachic details about it.

Which is the bigger chumra: To avoid using such devices, or to insure that even the hard-of-hearing can follow hear? Or, if you prefer, which is the bigger kula: To use such devices, or to disenfranchise part of the tzibur? (I'm not taking sides, just illustrating the issues. If you want answers, ask your LOR.)

Akiva Miller