[Avodah] A woman is acquired

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 5 14:01:39 PDT 2015

R' Shalom Berger wrote:

<<< I think that it is fairly clear that Jewish law does not believe that a woman is owned by her husband, ... >>>

That depends on what you mean by "own".

I own my shoes. This gives me certain rights, such as wearing them to the exclusion of anyone else, or the choice of who I might lend them to. I also have certain responsibilities; I cannot simply destroy them for no reason.

I own my tefillin too. But the things I can do with my tefillin are much more limited than whast I can do with my shoes.

I have certain rights and responsibilities vis a vis my wife as well. Do I own her? I don't know. Is there a real nafka mina, or is it just semantics?

Akiva Miller