[Avodah] tefillat haderech

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 28 11:34:20 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 02:03:50PM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: >> Also, when speaking about berakhah vs tefillah,  Tefillas haDerekh refers
: to itself as a tefillah. And notice also the  chasimah is about hearing
: the baqashah, not about the shemirah we're  requesting itself.<<
:
: That doesn't answer the question of whether it is appropriate to recite
: Tefillas HaDerech during a blinding rainstorm on the highway in your own city,
:  which was my question.

It doesn't fully answer your question, but it does point a bit toward
saying it.

After all, it turns out that the only berakhah is about Hashem hearing
baqashos. The body of the tefillah is only a formalized equivalent to
saying "Please G-d, just get me home safe, healthy and in one piece!" or
some other spontaneous cry for help.

So, if you're scared on the road, tefillah is appropriate.

Why would thanking G-d for listening to such tefillos depend on rules
about travel?

Add to that the fact that it's only half a berakhah, which indicates
that it's shevach (like Shomeia Tefillah in Shemoneh Esrei), as another
small indicator in favor of saying it.

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507        taking control result in balance and harmony?