[Avodah] brochos from the amud (was: tefillat haderech)

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 28 10:12:00 PDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 10:43:47PM -0400, Sholom Simon via Avodah wrote:
: Slight change of topic: I'm still trying to wrap my head around the
: idea that we don't seem to have a chashash of a brocha l'vatalah.  I
: mean, you have a sh'tz up there, saying a brocho out loud -- and
: he's intentionally trying to be motzi _some_ others...

But only those who had in mind to be yotzei.

:                                                   Shomea k'oneh
: doesn't apply at all?  What if you are in the shul and you're not
: thinking about the issue of being yotzie, you're just thinking about
: which day it is, and/or you simply have stam kavanah.  No chashash
: for an issur d'oraissa?

RYBS says in the context of the berakhah on Hallel that because mitzvos
einum tzerikhos kavanah, if you have no kavanah one way or the other,
you would be yotzei. To avoid being yotzei would require having explicit
kavanah not to be yotzei.

He then continues that the idea of having intent not to want to do a
mitzvah bothers him, and so RYBS said he says the berakhah on Hallel
along with the chazan. (Which is what my father does, and what I grew
up with.)

I assume the same would be true here. (Although I don't recall what
my father does, I say the berakhah along with the chazan.)

I would have thought that interrupting with "barukh Hu uvarukh shemo"
should also work. Recall that R Chaim was very against answering BHUBS
to chazaras hashatz because one is being yotzei tefillat hatzibur.
(Above and beyond one's own chiyuv of tefillah.)

While listing my hunches, I believe that intent to say it yourself
qualified as kavanah not to be yotzeir. So the default is kavanah not
to be yotzei, not an absense of kavanah one way or the other.

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507        taking control result in balance and harmony?