[Avodah] Making a Berakhah when Lighting for Shabbos Early

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 27 15:12:57 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:58:48AM +0000, Kenneth Miller via Avodah wrote:
: > So I'm wondering about this... If someone uses existing lights,
: > ones you used while still Friday, what "lehadliq" is she making
: > a berakhah on? Yes, there is light for enjoying the Shabbos meal,
: > all the same shalom bayis. But there is no actual pe'ulah to make
: > the berakhah on. Is there?

: I don't know where you see anything like this in the AhS. The AhS
: is explicitly talking about lighting after mincha, when it is already
: dark and the light is already useful...

And was used or at least "used" before Shabbos (in some halachic rather
than commonsensical sense), even if just for seconds, since that's the
AhS's grounds for allowing the person who made no eiruv tavshilin to
light her Shabbos candles.

So, how can she make a berakhah on candles she was only permitted to
light because they would be used before Shabbos? What hadlaqah for
Shabbos itself occured?

> omit the bracha, because it explicitly declares one's intentions to be
> of a hachana nature, but that is a separate question not raised by the
> AhS...

I'm taking his silence, the AhS not telling her to light without a
berakhah, as implication that there is no change from the usual WRT
berakhah.

Micha Berger             Today is the 23rd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Netzach: How does my domination
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            stifle others?