[Avodah] Making a Berakhah when Lighting for Shabbos Early

Daniel M. Israel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 23 16:21:06 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-23 16:14, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> What should someone who forgot to make an eiruv tavshilin...
>                          ... do for lighting Shabbos candles?

> So, the BY (OC 537:19) permits...                             The AhS
> then questions the diyuq, but says it should be allowed anyway, since
> one gets hana'ah from the neiros while on YT too.

> So I'm wondering about this... If someone uses existing lights, ones you
> used while still Friday, what "lehadliq" is she making a berakhah on?

Off the cuff hypothesis:

Perhaps for the one lighting, it becomes Shabbos immediately, so the
hadlakah is for Shabbos and there is a beracha. But for others in the
house, they likely don't take on Shabbos until davening, and therefor
they enjoy it on YT. Which would be enough to matir her lighting them.

But I have no source.

--
Daniel Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu