[Avodah] Eilu v'eilu

Rich, Joel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 17 08:26:20 PDT 2015

> Question: If one doesn’t view eilu v’eilu as multiple truths
> but rather one truth and one nice try (but we don’t know which
> is which), ...

You've lost me. Doesn't the grammar and definition of the words "eilu v'eilu" imply that the two things under discussion are equal? I just can't wrap my brain around a way to translate "eilu v'eilu" where one is truth and the other isn't.

See here  https://kavvanah.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/rav-soloveitchik-religious-definitions-of-man-and-his-social-institutions-part-1of-7-1958/ for a general approach (especially "Part III- Rav Soloveitchik’s God
 In Judaism, God himself is the hidden God, Jal Mistatar – unknowable and unknown. The Jewish experience of God (shared by other religions is antithetic, a polarity. it has both remoteness and intimate closeness. How is that possible? Judaism does not use Aristotelian logic of excluded middle. Unlike classic physic, modern physics uses both waves and particles; modern physics does not use Aristotle. God is both remote and close- in our encounter we are bewildered and comforted. Since Creation is also revelation, the every tree also incomprehensible strange. "
And here for some more specifics:
http://nishma.org/articles/commentary/slifkinrevisted3print.pdf
  especially starting around page 11.

KT
Joel Rich (who still can't really understand the double slit experiment, yet it's there)
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.