[Avodah] tefillat haderech

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 17 02:52:37 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 03:02:13AM +0000, Kenneth Miller via Avodah wrote:
: I am not aware of any situation where the halacha says that I cannot
: say a birkat hamitzva on your behalf, AND that the reason why I cannot
: do so is because you are a baki. (There might be other good reasons,
: depending on the situation, but I don't know that "being a baki" is ever
: such a reason.)

More than that, Beis Hillel (Berakhos 38a, brought lehalakhah AhS OC
298:28) gives *preference* to one person making havdalah for all than
each person making their own, because of berov am hadras Melekh.

Similarly, it is better to be yotzei qiddush from the baal habayis than
each person make their own. (AhS OC 273:6, citing Berakhos 53a, and a
din mentioned in most Hagados, because at the seder each person already
has their own kos.)

But when it comes to birkhas shevach and birkhos hanehenin (which are
unattached to other berakhos, unlike the the borei peri hagafen of
qiddush or havdalah), we do hold that it's better to make your own.
(Berakhos 42a)

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Gevurah: To what extent is judgment
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   necessary for a good relationship?