[Avodah] Rabbi Noach Isaac Oelbaum's Position on the Kosher Switch

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 15 16:13:58 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 07:42:24PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Sounds to me like r' asher weiss's makeh bpatish definition.

You lost me. I wasn't discussing which melakhah -- if any -- one violates
by using electricity in an of itself, but how using this switch relates
to that melakhah.

For example, even if we say that electricity and electronics itself
weren't an issue, the majority of these switches would be installed so as
to turn on fluorescent or incandescent bulbs. Both of which heat filaments
until glowing -- so there is a melakhah of bishul or hav'arah to discuss.

And my question becomes: In that rather typical setting, how the
switch not gerama of one of those two melakhos? (Or possibly both, if
a glowing filament is hav'arah, and the resulting boiling of mercury in
the fluorescent bulb, bishul.)

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            strict justice?