[Avodah] Davening Outdoors

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 14 15:50:06 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:00:06AM -0700, Harry Weiss via Avodah wrote:
: >  From http://www.dinonline.org/2012/07/11/davening-outdoors/
: >> Is it problematic to daven outdoors?
: ...
: >> The Gemara (Berachos 34b) writes that it is wrong
: >> (arrogant - chatzuf) to daven in an open field.
:
: >> Rashi explains that in an open field, one doesn't
: >> feel fear of the King, and one doesn't pray with
: >> a broken heart. Tosafos, however, understands
: >> that the concern is for passers-by, who are
: >> liable to disturb a person's davening.
:
: >> The Magen Avraham (90:6) rules that the problem
: >> is that davening outside makes a haughty
: >> statement...
: ...
: >> Therefore, although it is not forbidden to daven
: >> outdoors, it is wrong to daven in an open area,
: >> and one should seek a sheltered place.
:
: When one davens in a large minyan and is surrounded by other people
: davening it is easier to concentrate on the tefilla.

The Kotel Plaza doesn't suffer from any of these concerns, which is
unsurprising because centuries of gedolim had no problem davening outside
at the kotel.

It's set up like a shul, so there is no special chutzpah or yuharah in
davening there.

Interruptions are likely, but generally for other mitzvos -- tzedaqah,
or answering qaddish or qedushah from nearby minyanim. In terms

And the location actively fosters yir'ah, koveid rosh and a broken heart.

However, davening at Robinson's arch might suffer from the yuhara issue.

(Personally, I find it more moving than the Kotel Plaza. One stands on
the same road walked by oleh regel, among stones thrown off Har haBayis
by the Roman Army (whether during the churban or when Hadrian had the
har plowed, I do not know). Behind me are the ghosts of shopkeepers,
ready to exchange my maaser sheini coins back to food, sell me flour
for a qorban Todah or an animal for a differen qorban. The miqvah is a
bit back, and to the left.)

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?