[Avodah] wine choice

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 1 12:08:55 PDT 2015

On 04/01/2015 02:05 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> Now let's discuss how big a revi'is was back then... But even without
> that, I have no idea how any of them would have gotten anywhere near
> drunk. Why would R' Yonah have a headache until shavu'os off some 16 oz
> total of 3% wine? Do we have to assume it was the alcohol? Maybe he was
> a later owner of Abayei's kos...

I don't think it's at all plausible that it was the alcohol.  I have long
assumed that he had some sort of allergy or intolerance for some component
of grapes or grape skins, or perhaps for the sulfites with which wine was
(and is still) preserved.  It's well known that there are people today who
get headaches from sulfites.

--
Zev Sero               I have a right to stand on my own defence, if you
zev at sero.name          intend to commit felony...if a robber meets me in