[Avodah] Two Levels of Bitachon

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jun 22 14:32:42 PDT 2015

The following is from Rav Schwab on Chumash Parshas Shelach.

We suggest the following explanation: Hashem demands bitachon of
every Jew - trust
in Hashem that everything will turn out for the best, without worrying about
what the future might bring. Throughout the generations, devout Jews
have walked
this path. A person with bitachon ultimately will merit to see
clearly that, indeed,
"All that Hashem does is for the best."

There are two types of bitachon. The first is trusting in Hashem with "closed
eyes," with no speculation about what may develop. However, there is
a second kind
of bitachon that is even greater than the first. This is the bitachon
of "open eyes."
One who follows this path looks ahead and sees clearly that the
future might entail
great danger, that his life may be full of trials and tribulations.
Nevertheless, he
does not hesitate, relying on Hashem to help him deal with whatever
the future will
hold. This kind of bitachon is greater than the first, because
someone who trusts in
:Hashem with "open eyes" must elevate his bitachon to a much higher
level in order
to overcome his worries and quiet his concerns.

However, as great as this second path is, it is fraught with danger. There is a
strong possibility that instead of overcoming one's fears and worries, one will
be vanquished by them. A "realistic" evaluation of the challenges could be so
frightening as to cause one to lose his bitachon in Hashem
altogether. Therefore,
:although the bitachon of "open eyes" might be appropriate for
certain great people,
Hashem does not demand it of us. Hashem only requires us to have the bitachon
of "closed eyes"; we need only trust that everything will turn out
for the best, in
accordance with His will, without considering what the future might
hold. This is
implied in the pasuk (Yeshayahu 12:2), 11) Behold the G-d of
salvation; I shall trust in Him, and I will not fear.