[Avodah] Modah Ani

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 2 08:49:24 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 12:14:11PM +0000, Kenneth Miller via Areivim wrote:
: R' Micha Berger wrote:
:> ... When I told them that traditionally we held that they're
:> probably yotz'ot with saying Modah Ani once a day, ...

: I noticed your very deliberate spelling here, and I can't help but
: wonder: Was there any family or community prior to the late 20th century
: in which girls or women said "modAh ani"?

Talmidei haGra.

The Siddur haGra also mentions "shelo asani nakhriah" (the Gra had
"nakhri" for men) and "shelo asani shifcha".

Speaking of new minhagim: Modeh Ani is likely the youngest prayer in
most siddurim, even younger than Lekha Dodi. It exists to compensate
moving "Elokai Neshamah" out of that spot. (Asher Yatzar doesn't open
"barukh" because it's a berakhah hasemukhah lechaverta with haMapil
-- one before sleep one after. When we moved it, many (including the
Gra), made it semuchah to Asher Yazar -- thanking the Creator for
both body and soul.)

Which is why I find it unwarranted to treat its matbeia as unchangable
even in the face of simply reconjugating.

But in any case, I'm in favor of most changes that give one pause to
think about what they're saying or doing.

Micha Berger             A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow
micha at aishdas.org        man's soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries
http://www.aishdas.org   about his own soul and his fellow man's stomach.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter