[Avodah] Who Wrote the Mishna Brura?

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 26 06:00:28 PDT 2015

I am sure that most will answer "The Chofetz Chaim"  Israel Meir
(HaKohen) Kagan.  However, he apparently did not write all of it.

I have been reading Marc Shapiro's latest book "Changing the
Immutable" How Orthodox Judaism Rewrites its History.  See
http://www.littman.co.uk/cat/shapiro-orthodox.html  Shapiro points
out that Rabbi Aryeh Leib Cohen,  a son of the Chofetz Chaim,  wrote
in his biography of his father that he wrote parts of the Mishna
Brura and that is why there are contradictions in some parts of the
MB.  Which parts Aryeh Leib wrote are not indicated.

Does anyone know?

YL

PS.  I have found this book an eye opener and recommend it highly.

llevine at stevens.edu