[Avodah] Israeli carrots and peppers

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 7 21:35:03 PDT 2015

Om Areivim, R' Yitzchok Levine posted this alert:

> Shemitta: Carrots & Peppers from Israel
> in Neighborhood Stores
>
> Please be aware that carrots (including Dorot Farms brand),
> peppers, and other vegetables from Israel are consistently
> being sold in the Baltimore area at produce markets in our
> neighborhood, which are frequented by members of our community.
> From the numerous inquiries we have received, it is apparent
> that many consumers are unaware of this when shopping.
>
> The packages or labels state "Product of Israel."  These
> vegetables likely have Kedushas Shviis and require special
> care. If you bought them, contact your local Orthodox rabbi
> for further guidance.
>
> Seven Mile Market in Baltimore is monitored by Star-K and
> produce sold there does not have this issue.

My question is this: Why does the alert mention only the problem of Kedushas Shviis? If one is concerned about Kedushas Shviis, wouldn't he also be concerned about Sefichin, which (more than merely requiring "special care") is an issur achila?

Akiva Miller