[Avodah] Shabbat microphones catching on among orthodox despite taboos

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 6 23:29:51 PDT 2015

 From http://tinyurl.com/men8bez

Relying upon rulings by decision makers such as Rabbi Shaul Yisraeli,
Isser Yehuda Unterman and Rav Haim David HaLevi, the Zomet microphone
uses only transistors "without any glowing [or 'burning'] elements;"
is turned on by an automatic "Shabbat timer;" and, once turned on,
"current flows continuously in the system," according to technical
notes on the setup released on the group's website.

According to Zomet executive director Rabbi Dan Marans, the system
has come into use in 15 synagogues in Baltimore, Montreal, West
Stamford and other locations, as well as in 18 old-age homes. Leading
American poskim, or decidors of Halacha, have even "stipulated in
contracts with synagogues that they change the system to our system
so that the RCA [will be] able to send rabbis."

<Snip>

"I've not heard comments [against it]. If anything, people find the
service more enjoyable and more elevating," agreed Schneier, adding
that "We must get a dozen calls a year from rabbis contemplating
putting this system into their synagogues.

"I believe within 25 years it will be commonplace in Orthodox
synagogues here in the Northeast."

See the above URL  for more.  YL