[Avodah] How Kosher is the Kosher Switch?

Rafael Jason Hecht via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 4 19:10:25 PDT 2015

Last Motzei Shabbos I was among the crowd that was saying Kiddush Levana
out in the open. While davening I overheard someone making a joke about
using a Kosher Switch (my guess was to place light on the outside so people
could better read). I did my own reading and research before that and
couldn't tell if the gentleman was joking or being serious.

To put it lightly, the development and marketing Kosher Switch has caused a
major controversy in the Torah Jewish community. The Kosher Switch, a
device purportedly meant to ease the constraints of Sabbath observance, is
not the first of its kind. The Grama switch by Zomet Institute, as well as
the Zman switch have been created for emergency situations of pikuach
nefesh. However, this switch has caused an uproar in the Jewish community.
Why?

Before going on, let me state that while I am far from an expert in the
field of electrical engineering or Hilchos Shabbos (nor am I a certified
Rabbi), I treasure Shabbos and am always looking for ways to enhance it.
That said, I did my own personal research and humbly present my findings.
Before I go on, let me first state that the topic of electricity on Shabbos
is far more extensive than what I'm laying out, and that I am not
(intentionally) offering my own Psak, just a compilation of "what's out
there."

Read more:
http://www.mywesternwall.net/2015/04/30/how-kosher-is-the-kosher-switch.html

Best Regards,