[Avodah] Lashon Hara and the Internet

Kenneth Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 26 13:28:49 PDT 2015

On Areivim, there were some posts speaking about the residents of a certain area or areas. Someone commented:

> I'm a little surprised at this exchange.  Sefer Chafetz Chaim is
> pretty clear about not saying loshen hara on a place or the
> residents of a place.

Someone else responded:

> I am no expert on what is LH and what is not, but with the Internet
> I think that some of the halachos probably do not apply to today's
> world. Find me a sefer that deals with LH and the Internet, and
> then we will talk.

I too am no expert in Sefer Chafetz Chaim, but I clearly remember it talking about Lashon Hara via the written word, such as in personal letters to friends and relatives, or by publishing books and newspapers. Can someone find those sources and tell us where they are?

I find it difficult to imagine that today's world is so different from that of a hundred years ago "that some of the halachos probably do not apply to today's world."  But without quoting actual sources, it's simply a case of my imagination vs that of the other poster. So I am hoping that someone can help with the source material, "and then we will talk."

Akiva Miller