[Avodah] Turning Jealousy into Progress

David Wacholder via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 23 23:18:07 PDT 2015

Envy - Jealousy – Kin’ah – is an obvious theme for Parshas Mtzora.

Paraphrasing freely (from L’chai Ro’-EY page 184),  Midrash
Tehillim/Shochar Tov on 37:1 parallel of TiTCHaR and TeKaNNEi. Do not fall
victim to despondence those plotting evil, do not emulate those who succeed
in career of crime. Rashi BMiDBar 25:11 neatly ties both into a General
Theory of Jealousy.
KoL LaSHON KiNAH HU  HaMiTCHaReH LiNKom NiKMaS DaVaR.

Rashi’s keyword is worth a thousand words. Rashi expects that we know
Tanach and Midrash references. To catch Rashi’s nuance, always, I consult
my paper Milon Gur  [also in HebrewBooks.com].
HaMiTCHaReH is the exotic addition to our vocabulary. My trusty dictionary
comes through here.

Milon Gur pages 310 311 on CHaRaH:

CHaRaH intransitive verb, showing outwardly as Ca_US  or  KaTZUF.    –
foaming and frothing anger, against a traitor or hated enemy. determination
to avenge and restore the Balance of Justice.
 HiTLaHeiV burning simmering anger, pressure like volcanic eruption.

Hashem to Yonah – are you truly upset – HaHeYTeiV CHaRaH LCHa YoNaH?

Divine CHaRON AF boiling or simmering anger  is satisfied only by
repentance, not by punishment.
CHaRUCHA [burnt like over done fire-roast, long term anger leads to
burn-through and burn-out.
CHaRUL thorny tangle
Milon Gur page 1088   McharCher RIV – drum up strife and enmity
CHaRCHuR – disease of loss of muscle and strength.
 MChaRCHer Riv, CharumAf [nose “bent out of shape” inset into face]  and  for
Tacharut as resentment destroyed relationship.

 Rashi in  Machzor Vitri 148 uses CHeReTZ in a unique way. Hashem jealously
and with energy demands  perfection from the world. Why does the Creator
demand perfection? Rashi believes that Hashem cares strongly about the
world. When the Adam attempts to be good, but falls short, He uses
Rachamim, parenting skills, looking to the potential of “You will worship
Elokim on this mountain”.  identification with the world demands
perfection. When the world tries but falls short, fails to perform, Hashem
uses Rachamim, flexibility, patience, empathy. He settles for potential.

When the world rebels against Hashem, refuses to acknowledge Him at all, or
mocking Him, rejecting their Father, breaking up the family, then there is
Charon Af, red faced simmering anger.

Rav Avraham Ruby authored the “Tzilusa DiShmaata” series, focusing on
chapters of the Baba-s routinely learnt  Afternoon Seder which are
master-works of Lamdus. Rav Moshe Shmuel Shapiro of Be’eir Yaakov was a
talented teacher, and R’ Ruby is an extremely able student.

This year R’ Ruby has turned his talents to creating the same sort of
succinct and sharp presentation on Chumash.[L’chai Ro’-EY on Vayikra, self
published 5775, contact me.].  Each Parsha offers an eclectic collection of
solid sources. The organization is always unique and refreshing.

L’chai Ro’-EY  185 shows the constructive power of ambition. Identity,
membership,self-image, pride, place in society are all motivators of
constructive behavior.

Kinah jealousy is secondary, when there is an insult or threat to Hashem’s
identity, or the individual’s. Ideally our self-image should include praise
of Hashem and hatred of all insults against the Honor of Hashem. Only live
in a town with Jewish services, and help create them. Your material
ambitions include the dimension of Mitzvos and Kidush Hashem.

 A higher level of identity, ambition and constructive jealousy is aspiring
to your neighbor’s higher spiritual levels. Even the Heavenly angels and
even Avraham Avinu found mentors to emulate. Of course, the type of
destructive strife we often see has other roots.   Building a Jewish family
is much easier with stronger spiritual models.

--
David Wacholder
Cell: 917-742-7838
Email: dwacholder at gmail.com