[Avodah] RYBS's Talk on Hafkaas Kiddushin, Talmud Torah and Kabalas Ol Malchus

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 15 07:57:33 PDT 2015

From: Joseph Kaplan via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

"We must not tamper, not only with the  halachos,

but even with the chazakos, for the chazakos of  which chazal spoke

rest not upon transient psychological  behavioral patterns, but upon

permanent ontological  principles rooted in the very depth of the

human  personality, in the metaphysical human personality, which

is as changeless as the heavens above."

Can anybody explain what  this really means? That is, explain it to someone
who doesn't use the word  "ontological" in his/her normal speech.  I have
read it many many times  but I still don't understand what the Rav is
saying.

Joseph

If you leave out the word "ontological" here the sentence is perfectly
clear:  Human nature does not change.

I'm sure you looked up the definition of "ontological" so no need to go
there.  But in this paragraph, the word "ontological" serves a subliminal
purpose.  Here it means, "Don't condescend to Orthodox Jews and do not  assume
we are backwards, primitive, and ignorant.  One can be  an intellectual and
still believe the Torah is true and  eternal."

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..