[Avodah] Philosophy and practice of shmita

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 13 14:23:44 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:09:02PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: What is the earliest source that ties shmita to the farmers using the
: time to learn Torah?...

I don't know about first, but the Seforno (Vayiqra 25:4, d"h "shabbos
Lashem") writes:
    So that also those who work the earth, when they rest for this year,
    yis'oreru lidrosh es H' be'ofen mah.

This is then quoted verbatum by R' Yaaqov Tzevi Mecklengburg (HaKesav
behaQabbalah, early or mid-19th cent), who sites both the Sefornu and and
"Raba"ch" -- who is eluding me. I didn't see it in Rabbeinu Bechayei,
nor the Chizquni.

Nor am I sure that "liderosh es H'" means learning.

More recent is the Ari (as recorded by R' Shemu'el Vital, Shaar haPesuqim)
based on the Zohar (vol II 20b). Haro'eh baShoshanim -- "Shoshanim"
refers to the 6 shins in "usefarta lekha SHeva SHabasos SHanim, SHeva
SHanim SHeva pe'amim". And from there haro'eh bashoshanim becomes: the
one who dedicates the 7th year to learning finds G-d in all the 6 years
of labor as well.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Gevurah: When is strict justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            most appropriate?