[Avodah] Rav Elchanan Wasserman & Why People Sin

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 27 01:22:14 PDT 2015

<<Well, if we know the curvature of the space we're dealing with, we know
which Geometry to use. And only one is correct for that particular space >>

The key word is "if" . That is the difference between math and physics.
Math assumes axioms and from there everything is provable. Physics
discusses the "real" world. This is based on observation and induction.
Hence, physics is always subject to modification based on new observations.
Hence, we have no proof of the curvature of the universe.

<<I disagree with your reisha. Evil is an objectively meaningful predicate.
Yahadus wouldn't work is evil were subjective.>>

Yahadus uses the Torah to define evil. Others don't accept this definition.
Is ISIS beheading victims and their other acts "evil" ? They believe they
are keeping the word of G-d. Destrying ancient monuments is viewed by the
world as "evil" while they see it as destroying idols and hence a mitzvah.
If we were to eradicate Amalek we would consider it a great mitzvah while
the rest of thw world would bring us to the world court for genocide.

<<But my whole point is that proof isn't the only grounds for
justifying knowledge

But without a formal proof it is always debatable. You feel that the
existence of G-d is obvious even without a formal proof (which doesn't
exist) while Dawkins feels that anyone who believes in a diety that
interacts with the world is a fool.
You accept Torah mi-sinai while most academics are convinced the Torah was
written during the late Bayit Rishon if not later

--
Eli Turkel