[Avodah] free will

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 28 09:33:38 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 1:38pm IDT, R Eli Turkel wrote:
: We have discussed many times the opinion of Rav Dessler that a person
: doesn't always have free will.

: I recently saw a halachic discussion that may have some connection.
: On ketubot 51 the gemara discusses a case of a married woman who was raped
: but at the end was willing...

: One possibility of explaining Rava is that she is overwhelmed by her
: "yetzer" and so is still considered ["anusah"]...

While RET's suggested example is consistent REED's concept of nequdas
habechirah, the way RET phrased REED's position kept this email on my
to-do list for the last 3 weeks.

REED's point is one that's pretty consistent with first-hand experience
of making choices. We do not feel in control of our subconscious
decisions. All the opportunities we filter out before we even are aware
of thinking about it.

He then says that the decisions that rise to the level of consciousness,
and thus we have some control over, are ones that generate internal
conflict. The "battlefront" in his metaphor, where the yh"t and yh"r
are balanced.

But once you accept the notion of non-conscious thought, REED's conclusion
is unavoidable.

And a person does always have free will, he just isn't aware of every
choice he makes to know to exercise it.

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507        taking control result in balance and harmony?