[Avodah] kitniyot

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Mar 31 11:27:51 PDT 2013

On 31/03/2013 11:36 AM, Meir Shinnar wrote:
> The issue with a kezayit is that we know the textual basis (the noda biyehdua)
> - and most of us accept that one basic assumption he made - that people could
> not have gotten bigger, so therefore our olives are smaller.  I would also
> argue that accepting his shitta as normative actually undermines the validity
> and continuity of tradition...

But the topic here is *not* the Noda Biyhuda's shiurim, which we all
know are a change from the mesorah based on a mistaken assumption about
the metzius. The topic here is the exact opposite - a challenge to
the *traditional* shiur of kezayis, based on the fact that olives, both
today and in Chazal's time, were much smaller than that, and the claim
that the rishonim from whom we received that tradition didn't know this.

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name