[Avodah] Kitniyot - errors

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Sun Mar 31 13:21:00 PDT 2013

On 3/31/2013 9:15 AM, Eli Turkel wrote:

> I was reading the introduction to the moriah SA over pesach
> They claim that they fixed many misprints from previous editions that
> affected halacha
>
> Does that mean one should keep the mistakes because that is the mesorah
>
> BTW they mention the city in their discussion

Rabbis Shlomo Riskin and David Bar Hayim once had a debate at the Israel
Center in Jerusalem.  During the course of this, R' Riskin claimed that
"lo tirtzach" applied to non-Jews.  R' Bar Hayim said that it didn't,
but that "shofech dam adam b'adam damo yeshafech" did.  R' Riskin pulled
out a copy of the Rambam and read: "Kol horeg nefesh adam oveir b'lo
taaseh, she-ne'emar, lo tirtzach."  R' Bar Hayim pulled out a copy of an
edition of the Rambam based on actual manuscripts (as opposed to the one
R' Riskin had used, which was published under the kindly auspices of the
Polish Catholic Church), and read: "Kol horeg nefesh adam *miYisrael
*oveir b' lo taaseh, she-ne'emar, lo tirtzach."  R' Riskin's response
was not to argue in favor of his nusach being more correct, but rather
to say, "This is the version we have today."

Would RMB agree with R' Riskin?  Certainly, if we find the Aron under
Har HaBayit and see that the copy of the Sefer Torah that Moshe wrote
has differences from the one we have, we'd be obligated to make ours
conform to his.  Or is that also something RMB would dispute?

If we were to find a copy of a Sefer Torah in a cave, preserved like the
Dead Sea Scrolls, and that was different from ours, we would *not*
change ours, because who knows if that one wasn't ganuz for a reason.
Maybe it belonged to sectarians who changed it.  But if we were to find
one in the actual Aron, that would present us with a fact, and we'd have
to accept it.

Lisa